Saturday 16 May 2015

Rat Queens Vol 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth by Kurtis J. Wiebe

Rat Queens Vol 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth written by Kurtis J. Wiebe and illustrated by Roc Upchurch and Stjepan Sejic is the second collected volume of Rat Queens, containing issues #6-10. I previously reviewed the first volume here, and questioned whether I was sufficiently interested in the story to continue. Part of what convinced me to read on was the fact that the artist changed over part way through Volume 2.

This booze-soaked second volume of RAT QUEENS reveals a growing menace within the very walls of Palisade. And while Dee may have run from her past, the bloated, blood-feasting sky god N’rygoth never really lets his children stray too far.

This volume picks up right where the previous one left off, with the Rat Queens and friends waking up after their celebratory "we won a fight" orgy. They're sent on another, fairly easy mission, while trouble brews in the background. It isn't long before trouble catches up to them. And it's pretty apocalyptic trouble, on a city-scale at least.

While I did find Rat Queens faintly amusing, I thought the volume started a little boringly and ended a bit confusingly (a monster causing hallucinations didn't help on that last point). We did learn more about the backgrounds of the main characters, which was my favourite part, but it didn't make up for my general meh feeling about the whole thing.

Overall, I didn't hate Rat Queens, but I also didn't love it. I felt more ambivalent about this second instalment than I did the first and I don't think I'll be continuing with it. It's just not for me. That said, I don't think there's anything actually bad about it, so I'm sure others will enjoy it, if the jokes and subgenre are more to their tastes.

3.5 / 5 stars

First published: May 2015, Image Comics
Series: Rat Queens Volume 2 (issues #6-10) of ongoing series.
Format read: eARC
Source: Publisher via NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.